Sunday, June 6, 2010

Tri Time!

So, I figure it is about time to update everyone on my newest undertaking!

This Sunday, June 13, I will be participating in my first triathlon! This will, without a doubt, be the greatest physical challenge I have ever faced, but I am trying to keep myself optimistic about it. After all, 'I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me' right? (Phil 4:13)

The race is a combination of swimming (1/2 mile), then biking (18.6 miles), then a 5k run (3.1 miles). I have been training for about 3 months now and doing my best to simply keep a routine and get myself in better shape. Really, that is what this thing is all about. It was a means to get myself exercising. I do not have any goals for this race except to finish. Just get to the finish line.

I do have many questions running through my mind through this whole ordeal. Will I finish? Will I have the energy to complete all three parts in a decent time? Have I trained well enough for my body to handle this physical challenge? I hope so! :)

I must say, I am getting pretty excited! I know my adrenaline will be pumping that day! Actually, I pick up my race packet tomorrow, which I am very excited about! I will get my race number, my t-shirt, and lots of other goodies! I will have a timing chip during the race so my exact times will be posted when the race is finished. But, like I said, all I want to do is finish. I am trying really hard not to focus on my time, and just to focus on the finish line.

I will post lots of pictures! Aaron and my mom will be there (and anyone else who wants to come cheer me and hundreds of others along!), so we will hopefully get lots of pictures!

More than anything, I need prayer! Sunday morning if you happen to think of me, pray for me! That will be my strength above anything else - the prayers and support from my friends and family.

Talk soon!
-Nikki

"Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will."
-Mahatma Gandhi

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Nikki, I admire you for even TRYING! Since it's the first, finishing would be AWESOME, but even attempting makes me proud. You bet I will be there to cheer you on, and praying for you all the way! Love you! Mom